The Calvario Church

The Calvario Church

The original Calvario Church was built in 1770 to house the image of Jesus Nazareno, a gift from the Duke of Medinaceli, the overlord of Xabia, in memory of his wife the Duchess Doña Maria de Moncada who had promised this sumptuously dressed image of Christ as her appreciation for the touching display of loyalty the village had shown the couple on the birth of their firstborn son.

The building we see today on the road from Denia to Javea dates from 1847. The beautifully carved and dressed image of Jesus Nazareno that is carried with great reverence and passion down from his shrine to the town on the third Sunday in Lent is a true resurrection - the original being destroyed by comunistas during the Spanish Civil War.
Ref:
Date:
Location:
Xabia Old Town
Photographer:
Kerry Webber
The Calvario Church

The Calvario Church

The original Calvario Church was built in 1770 to house the image of Jesus Nazareno, a gift from the Duke of Medinaceli, the overlord of Xabia, in memory of his wife the Duchess Doña Maria de Moncada who had promised this sumptuously dressed image of Christ as her appreciation for the touching display of loyalty the village had shown the couple on the birth of their firstborn son.

The building we see today on the road from Denia to Javea dates from 1847. The beautifully carved and dressed image of Jesus Nazareno that is carried with great reverence and passion down from his shrine to the town on the third Sunday in Lent is a true resurrection - the original being destroyed by comunistas during the Spanish Civil War.
Ref:
Date:
Location:
Xabia Old Town
Photographer:
Kerry Webber